Here are the answers for last week’s quiz:
1) What percent of U.S. wine is made in California? The state of California contains 85% of vineyards in the U.S. and produces a whopping c)90% of U.S. wine!
2) Where are over 50% of California wine grapes grown? To get the answer to this question you have to think in terms of quantity, not necessarily quality. Yes, every wine country has its bulk wine region that often produces 50% of the country’s wine grapes. Ours is the a)Central Valley.
3) About how many wineries are there currently in Napa? As of 2010, there were over b)300 wineries in Napa. Napa is, however, only the third largest county in terms of wine grape acreage.
4) What county in California produces the most wine grapes? The answer to this question can be deduced by the answer to question #2. d)San Joaquin produces the most wine grapes. Second is Sonoma, and third, as mentioned in question #3 is Napa.
5) What is Sonoma’s most widely planted grape? This answer won’t surprise anyone, as everyone got it right. According to the USDA National Agricultural Statistics service, Sonoma has 15,000 acres of c)Chardonnay. Its second most planted grape is Cabernet Sauvignon at 11,500 acres. As an interesting comparison, Napa has 19,000 acres of Cabernet Sauvignon and only 7,100 acres of Chardonnay.
There are no winners for this quiz, but everyone who participated should treat himself to a glass of California wine. I hope the questions aren’t too boring. Frankly, I find numbers fascinating, sometimes downright jarring. 90%! Holy smokes!
Here’s the Washington State quiz:
1) Where does Washington state rank in terms of producer of vinifera wine in the U.S.?
a) 5th largest
b) 2nd largest
c) 4th largest
d) 3rd largest
2) What is the name of the mountain range that divides Washington state?
b) Dividing Range
3) How many AVA’s are there in Washington state?
4) What is the geographically largest AVA in the U.S.?
a) Columbia Valley
b) Yakima Valley
c) Central Valley
d) Horse Heaven
5) What are the five most important grapes of Washington state?
a) Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay
b) Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay
c) Merlot, Syrah, Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, Riesling
d) Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Chardonnay, Riesling
Answers will be posted next week.